National Procrastination Week is celebrated during the first two weeks of March. Sure, it’s a little unusual for a “week” celebration to be spread over two weeks, but this gives you a second shot at it, just in case you didn’t get around to celebrating during week one.
All jokes aside, National Procrastination Week can be a great opportunity to tackle some tasks that you’ve put off and to prioritize tasks that can make your business more efficient and successful. The reality is that there are lots of projects and jobs that get pushed aside amidst the everyday demands of running a business or managing a commercial space.
While these jobs might not feel like a high priority, they’ll likely lead to better results or experiences for your employees and customers. After all, they’re on your to-do list for a reason!
National Procrastination Week can be the ideal time to finally complete these projects and to set up systems for staying on top of projects that regularly get skipped or ignored. Here are some tips for how to do this and to get the most out of National Procrastination Week.
How to Celebrate National Procrastination Week
The best way to get started is by making a list of projects that you need to get done. You might have a running list, but start fresh with one or two projects that you’ve been wanting to do and that you can realistically complete in one or two weeks.
Some of the most common tasks on to-do lists for managers of commercial spaces are:
- Organizing desk and office spaces
- Updating filing systems
- Cleaning out employee break rooms
- Cleaning out shared refrigerators
- Deep cleaning common spaces
- Organizing common spaces
Whether it’s one of those tasks or something else entirely, pick one or two tasks that you want to complete this Procrastination Week.
Next, create a plan for getting the project(s) done. Maybe you need to bring in other team members, delegate some tasks, or schedule some group time to tackle the project. Be realistic when planning and specific. Come up with times that you’ll work to accomplish your task, put it on the calendar, and commit to prioritizing it when the time comes.
Tips to Increase Productivity and Success
There are usually a few reasons that people procrastinate – a task is difficult and something they dread, there are too many other demands, and there simply isn’t enough time. Whatever your reason for putting things off, some simple productivity tips can help make tasks more manageable and ensure you have time to handle the things that are most important.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- The 2-Minute Rule. If something can be completed in two minutes or less, do it immediately.
- Break Projects Into Small Chunks. Large projects can be overwhelming and leave you unsure of where to start. This leads to paralysis and means that you never even get the project started. To avoid this, break big projects into smaller pieces that you can handle in a few hours or over the course of a week.
- Be Realistic in Scheduling. When you put a task on your calendar, be thoughtful and realistic about how long it will take. For example, if you schedule one hour to reorganize all of your business’s files, you’re set up for failure. Instead, schedule one drawer for that same period so that you can meet your goals and keep moving forward.
- Write Your Projects Down and Share Them With Others. This will help you and others hold you accountable for accomplishing specific projects.
- Don’t Let Perfection Get in the Way of Progress. Finally, while you want to do things well, don’t overlook the value that comes from any amount of progress. Even if you can’t accomplish everything in one week, you can accomplish something. Focus on moving forward and celebrate progress however big or small.
Let Nashville BHS Help
An important part of tackling your to-do list is delegation. You can’t do everything, but you can build a team that can do everything!
At Nashville BHS, our team is professional, experienced, and reliable. We’re available to help with regular cleanings or one-time deep cleans. We can help you hit your business’ cleanliness and organization goals this March!
Contact us to learn more or call (615) 933-3913 to schedule your next service.