November is Child Safety and Protection Month. The purpose of the month-long observance is to raise awareness about the dangers that children face in everyday life. While most property managers and landlords of commercial buildings focus on keeping adult visitors safe, the reality is that commercial spaces need to take safety precautions to ensure that children are safe too.
If you haven’t already, this month is an ideal time to evaluate safety measures and be proactive about ensuring that your building is safe for visitors of all ages. Here are some tips to help guide you through this process.
Tips for Keeping Children Safe in Commercial Spaces
If you have a building where both adults and children are regularly in and out, it’s important to be proactive about keeping all spaces safe. Here’s a checklist to get you started with this process:
- Childproof electrical outlets that are accessible. This can be done with outlet covers or by installing childproof outlets.
- Store cleaning products and chemicals in safe places. These should not be left out and should always be kept in secure places, ideally in a locked closet or on a high shelf out of reach of children.
- Pay attention to what items are easily accessible. Do you have choking hazards sitting out on counters or low tables? If so, move those small items to higher shelves. Review all shelves and furniture to evaluate what items are within reach of children and move anything that could be a hazard.
- Make sure all equipment is safely secured. It’s tempting to leave equipment sitting around when it’s between uses, but this can present hazards for visitors of all ages. Any time equipment is not in use, it should be safely secured and out of reach of visitors.
- Keep pools and hot tubs gated and locked. If you have a pool or hot tub on your property, make sure that it’s fenced, gated, or locked at all times.
- Regularly test all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. It’s vital to have an adequate amount of detectors throughout your property and to regularly test them to ensure that they’re working properly.
Let Nashville BHS Keep Your Space Clean and Sanitized
An important part of keeping buildings safe for visitors is ensuring that all spaces are adequately cleaned and sanitized. Nashville BHS is the premier cleaning service for the Nashville area. We can provide businesses with regular cleaning services or one-time cleanups. Our teams are reliable, professional, and efficient.
As you work to keep your building safe, let us handle keeping it clean and sanitized. Contact us today to learn more or schedule your first cleaning.
For more information on Child Safety and Protection Month, see Make Safety a Reality for All Young People from the Education Development Center.